Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Door hanger Mini book

I can say with some confidence now -'Happy Spring'. What a difference the sunshine and that extra hour in the evening makes. Hope you all had a lovely Easter - ours was one of my favourites ever and, believe it or not, I had less chocolate than ever before.

I am working steadily at the moment on ideas for future classes and retreat samples and am very conscious there is not much I am sharing with you so, as Nige offered to make tea today, I completed a project I started back in January.





This was a mixed media class designed by Cheryl Mezzetti that I attended in LA, but I was so hassled trying to share materials with 100 other retailers that I shelved it and didn't really expect to pick it up again. I am glad I persevered as I love the finished book. It is made from two door hangers for the front and back covers that I painted with crackle paint and then highlighted with mica powders.


We were given some 6" square sheets of Creative Imaginations paper and a beautiful nature themed cardstock sticker sheet. Twigs tied with Bakers twine were attached to the front with a glue dot. Flowers and a saying were added to the twigs and strips of paper attached to what would be the spine. See the very top photo.


The above photo shows inside the front cover. More stickers and paper were added.


I covered three chipboard pieces with decorative paper and began to decorate the interior pages.








For an extra page I painted one side of a paint it paper and folded back a small piece to create a flap. The flap can be seen on the photo above the paint it paper.


I also used a canvas pocket that was unpicked a little on both sides and trimmed at the front so that a flap could be created. The pocket was given a few swipes of paint and had some paper and stickers added. A small bulldog clip with bakers twine added was used to hold the pocket closed.





The hole in the back cover was covered with a contrasting painted circle and decorated with stickers from the sheet bearing in mind that this could be viewed through the hole in the front cover.


I used a cropadile to punch holes through the door hangers, chipboard pages and canvas pocket. Two book rings were used to secure the pages and ribbons attached. I added a butterfly sticker to the hole on the outside back page.


All that's left to do is add photos. We have blackbirds and magpies building nests in the garden at the moment and are seeing wrens and two, yes two robins frequently, so I may use my album to record this.

And now I feel inspired to tackle some more unfinished projects! Think I can con Nige into making tea more often???

Hope you're having a crafty week.

Hugs

Rosemary x

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Lovely book Rosemary, so nice when you finish something from the pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this idea, I might have to "borrow" it! So glad you finished it for us all to see. I like the idea of using it for your bird pics x

    ReplyDelete